Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

I actually tried to read these books a while ago, they seemed boring then, but I decided to give them another try. I've gotten about one hundred pages in, but I honestly don't think I would have understood the begining if I hadn't already seen the movies. So far, Gandalf has informed Frodo of the evil that resides in the ring and what evil is responsible for it's creation. He has also told the tale of Smeagol/Gollum, and what hold the ring had over him from the begining, and what its still doing to him. This information, along with Gandalf's doubt that Smeagol/Gollum can ever recover from the power of the ring, has frightened Frodo, but also has made him determined to leave the Shire in order to protect its inhabitants, although it is not clear at this point whether or not he will actuallly be the one to Destroy the One Ring. (of course, I already know he will because I saw the movie) The elves are very curious, From what I read of them, they are carefree and enjoy a goodtime, unlike the elves portrayed in the movies, who are serious at every moment and noble looking. Now, Frodo, Sam, and Pippin are attempting to locate Gandalf, who failed to show at Frodo's fidtieth birthday party has he said he would. This information has unerved the elves, who obviously hold Gandalf in high status among themselves. Also, it seemes impossible to tell whether or not they are making fun of Frodo for speaking their own language when they give comments such as, "a jewl among hobbits." I also find the tone in which J.R.R. Tolkein has wriiten is a little annoying. He's always saying there is or is it. I know that its the proper way to write, but it still anoys me when I read. I really liked these movies, so hopefully the books won't be much different. I don't like it at all when books are changed on screen.

1 comment: